6th International Conference on Photonics
Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
Title: Integrated narrow bandpass filters array for miniature spectrometer
Biography: Shao-Wei Wang
Compact, lightweight, and rigid miniature spectrometers without moving parts are needed for a wide variety of applications, including space applications, where every inch of payload counts. Miniaturization increases the portability and paves the way for making in situ spectral measurements for daily life of Food-safety and health etc. It also eases the integration of microspectrometers and miniature spectrometers into other technologies, such as microelectronics, and helps to realize lab-on-a-chip devices.
It attracts many research interests in recent years. There are many novel wavelength devision approaches have been proposed for miniature spectrometers, such as colloidal quantum dot spectrometer and disordered photonic chip. The optical filter array is one of the most important components in wavelength-division multiplexing, multispectral devices, and parallel array optics, which are widely used in communication and electrooptical systems.
We proposed and realized the concept of integrated narrow bandpass filter array from 2004, which can totally match with detectors array with very high spectral resolution and high structure & spectrum flexibility, and resulting in simple structure and small volume with high reliability. We developed the combinatorial etching technique and combinatorial deposition technique for fabrication of such devices. We also demonstrated a concept of a high-resolution miniature spectrometer using an integrated filter array. Such a device has already been succefully used in a multi-spectral luminescence imaging for plant growth research setup of Shijian ten satellite launched in 2016.
- Xingxing Liu, Shao-Wei Wang, Hui Xia, Xutao Zhang, Ruonan Ji, Tianxin Li, Wei Lu (2016) Interference-aided spectrum fitting method for accurately film thickness determination. Chinese Optics Letters. 14(8):081203.
- Shao-Wei Wang, et al. (2007) Concept of a high-resolution miniature spectrometer using an integrated filter array. Optics Letters 32(6) 632-634.
- Shao-Wei Wang, et al. (2007) 128 Channels of integrated filter array rapidly fabricated by using the combinatorial deposition technique. Appl. Phys. B 88(2):281-284.
- Shao-Wei Wang, et al. (2006) 16 x 1 integrated filter array in the MIR region prepared by using a combinatorial etching technique. Appl. Phys. B 82(4):637-641.
- Shao-Wei Wang, et al. (2006) Integrated optical filter arrays fabricated by using the combinatorial etching technique. Optics Letters 31(3):332-334.