Alexey Akimov, A&M University, USA
Title: Towards spin-photon interface for NV color center in diamond
Biography: Alexey Akimov
Nitrogen Vacancy (NV) color centers in diamond attract a lot of attention of quantum optics and quantum information community. Due to its long coherence time, possibility of optical readout of electronic spin state and possibility to store information in nearby nuclear spins using this center long quantum memory even at room temperature, long distance quantum entanglement and quantum registers has been demonstrated. Besides, quantum information application, this color center is proven to be good high-resolution sensor of magnetic field. Such a sensor is able to combine nanometer resolution with single spin sensitivity. Furthermore, due to its low chemical activity, diamond could be used as in vivo sensor. Recently, successful implementation of NV nanodiamonds as temperature sensors for measurement of thermal activation of transient receptor potential was demonstrated. NV color center in diamond could also be used for measurement of electric fields, tension, rotation or force. This sensor could offer high resolution or cutting edge sensitivity, if bulk sample is used. Also, due to its unique photo stability, this color centers find application in imaging, in particular bio- imaging as well as high resolution imaging such as STED or RESOLFT. In many of these applications, one of the important issues is efficiency, with which light emission of the color center is collected. In this contribution, we present our results on broadband collection of NV color centers emission using optical fiber and nanostructures.
Figure 1: Procedure of single nanocrystal pickup onto optical fiber
Figure 2: Positioning on nanocrystals on nanostructures
- Alexander Sushkov, Nicholas Chisholm, Igor Lovchinsky, Minako Kubo, Pik Kwan Lo, Steven Bennett, David Hunger, Alexey Akimov, Ronald L Walsworth, Hongkun Park, Mikhail D Lukin (2014) All-optical sensing of a single-molecule electron spin. Nano Lett., 14 (11): 6443–6448.
- Dmitry Sovyk, Victor Ralchenko, Maxim Komlenok, Andrew Khomich, Vladimir Shershulin, Vadim Vorobyev, Igor Vlasov, Vitaly Konov, and Alexey Akimov (2015) Fabrication of diamond microstub photoemitters with strong photoluminescence of SiV color centers:bottom-up approach. Applied Physics A, 118(1).
- M Y Shalaginov, V V Vorobyov, J Liu, M Ferrera, A V Akimov, A Lagutchev, A N Smolyaninov, V V Klimov, J Irudayaraj, A V Kildishev, A Boltasseva and V M Shalaev (2014) Enhancing the nanodiamond nitrogen-vacancy single‑photon source with TiN/AlScN hyperbolic metamaterial superlattice Laser Photonics Rev., 1–8.
- Vorobyov V V, Soshenko V V, Bolshedvorskii S V, Javadzade J, Lebedev N, Smolyaninov A N, Sorokin V N, Akimov A V (2016) Coupling of single NV center to adiabatically tapered optical single mode fiber. Eur. Phys. J. D 70(12): 269.
- Vorobyov V V, Kazakov A Y, Soshenko V V, Korneev A A, Shalaginov M Y, Bolshedvorskii S V, Sorokin V N, Divochiy A V, Vakhtomin Y B, et al (2017) Superconducting detector for visible and near-infrared quantum emitters. Opt. Mater. Express 7(2), 513.